Wikipedia:Nā lula kepela
To ensure consistency in spelling (kepela), please follow the following guidelines regarding spelling of Hawaiian words. These guidelines were proposed by ʻAhahui ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi in 1978.
- E pela i nā hua‘ōlelo me hoʻokahi kepela wale nō.
Spell every word in one way only.
- Mai pela me nā kiko moe.
Spell without hyphens.
- Inā hoʻopuka nā mānaleo i kekahi huaʻōlelo me kekahi mau hua malihini, hiki ke pela me ia mau hua.
Spell with foreign letters only when the word is consistently pronounced that way by native speakers.
- E hoʻokaʻawale i nā ‘inaleo mai ko lākou hua‘ōlelo hope mai.
Separate prepositions from their following word.
- E hoʻohana i hoʻokahi hua‘ōlelo no nā ho‘opōkole ‘ana.
Use one word for contractions.
- E ho‘ohana i /w/ no ka leokanipū ʻo wē. Mai ho‘ohana i /w/ no ka ‘ōlali.
Use /w/ to represent the consonant, not the glide.
- E hoʻomaʻaka i nā inoa a pau.
Capitalize all words that are used as names.
- Write a compound term as one word if the meaning is not evident from its parts.
- Pukui, Mary Kawena and Samuel H. Elbert. Hawaiian Dictionary. Honolulu: University of Hawaiʻi Press, 1986.